Search This Blog

Thursday 29 July 2010

Is social media really anti social?

Are we becoming social inept with the increased usage of social networking sites?

I have to confess that i am a newshound and my home page is a awash with feeds from Reuters, BBC and other worthy news sites.  These sites provide up to the minute accurate news that satisfies my requirements, coupled with the other facet that many people have of the further quest for knowledge which is the hours spent on Wikipedia channel hopping links to more interesting areas and opening tabs for "things for later".  Social networking for me is another channel for up to the minute news, recently i noticed that the trend was Roy Hodgson only to realise that the announcement for Liverpools new manager was tweeted before the new sites had gotten it.  Is Twitter a news channel for normal people or is it a gossip column?

My thoughts are this we use social networking to contact and keep in touch with friends and family rather than picking up the phone or visiting.  Without it would really actually truly keep in contact with people, I wouldnt have the time to visit, but I am never far from an appliance to communicate. Hell I even had about 100 people wish me happy birthday, I didnt know that many people liked me!  so I believe we are a little less social with these sites but far more connected than we would ever be able to.  Good and Bad....... Good for me. 

Twitter: _jasonwilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment